I think I mentioned in my last post that I have been making a lot of baby quilts lately. I think they are perfect, especially for the first baby, and it seems to be baby season amongst the people in my life right now. But that’s OK, as baby quilts can be relatively quick and easy to complete AND babies are just awesome!
I have been toying with the idea of making a whole cloth quilt for a while i.e. finding two print fabrics that can be used on either side of the quilt and requires no piecing. All that’s needed is to baste, quilt and bind the quilt.
For this particular friend I knew I wanted to find two monochrome prints, preferably black and white, with a bit of a earthy, boho feel to them (feathers, teepees etc). Mumma-to-be had a gender reveal party as well and discovered she was having a boy, so that helped with fabric selection as well.
Knowing what I needed/wanted, I decided to search Spoonflower for the right fabrics. It’s not the cheapest option for Aussies at the moment (damn the dropping AUD!) but there is such a lot of choice, and I decided to maximise the freight charges by ordering other fabric for a girl version as well (more on that in a later post).
I think I found the perfect prints for a baby boy! I ordered 1yard of each fabric . I pin-basted the quilt and spent a bit of time lining up the edges of the printed area as best I could.
The next big decision was how to quilt it. So far I have always just done straight line quilting on anything I have quilted on my domestic sewing machine. To me, the fabrics lent themselves to a more organic style of quilting, something to create some movement. So I decided that organic wavy lines might be doable and be quite effective.
I quite enjoyed the quilting after a while. I did have to get myself out of the ordered, even, straight mind-set I am used to when I am quilting. Now that I also seem to have sussed out the tension issues I feel a bit excited to try a bit more free motion quilting in the future.
I did want to inject a little bit of colour to this quilt, hence the icy blue binding that was in my stash. I think it adds a bit of freshness to the quilt, what do you think?
I also sewed the binding down using the machine loaded with Aurifil 12wt thread in white (with 40wt in the bobbin). I was so nervous to begin with but it looked so good, I will do it again ( but probably use a longer stitch length next time).
I am pleased to say that mumma-to-be loves the quilt. I can’t wait to see little baby boy one this quilt when he arrives in a couple of months!
Details of the quilt:
Title: Wandering Home
Size: 36″ x 40″
Fabric: Kona cotton
Quilting: Organic wavy lines using Aurifil 40wt 2600
Binding: Quilting shot cotton from Spotlight. Aurifil 12wt 2024 with 40wt 2024 in bobbin.
Favourite Part(s): Trying something different with the quilting and using 12wt thread to sew the binding.