Finally…a finish!

Image source: unsplash.com

Image source: unsplash.com

Cue sparklers …. it’s time to celebrate my first quilty finish for the year!

After such a good start, I met a bump in the road with my health, and am finally feeling well again now. It was pretty much two months out of my life….and so hard looking after a toddler at the same time. But, there is no point dwelling on it. I am just very happy it wasn’t any of the scary things I started to imagine it was.

My finished quilt is the one I have been trying to tick off the list all year and is my goal finish for March as well as one of my Q1 Finish Along 2015 goals. It is the baby quilt for our new niece (who is now almost 6 months old!!).

Full frontal

Full frontal

This quilt started out as a leftover piece of fabric from another project. I wish I had taken a photo of the original piece of fabric, but essentially it was made up of a whole bunch of bright coloured images screaming out to be fussy cut. These images make up the centre of my log cabins. You can see they were all different sizes and shapes.

I love this cupcake character

I love this cupcake character

I decided I would make this a log cabin quilt and the first step was to frame the fussy cut centre with a black and white fabric. I then chose low volume and brights of different colours to make up the log cabin blocks. Initial strips started as 1″ strips, but the final two strips in the block were wider 2″strips. This allowed me to trim all the blocks to 81/2″ square blocks.

Annabel-quilt-close-up1

Close up

For the final two strips I used Michael Miller Mirror Dots in white because I wanted there to be a little bit of bling!

I decided to hand quilt this using Aurifil 12wt cotton thread. I decided on a bubble design to soften all the angles from the log cabin blocks. I was originally just going to do big circles, and if I had stuck to that plan I am sure I would have been finished much sooner than this, but I couldn’t leave the spaces in between the big circles. And so a bubbly pattern emerged.

Annabel-quilt-full1

You get a glimpse of the polka dot backing in the picture above. I love this backing so much.

My favourite binding fabric lately

My favourite binding fabric lately

I used the same binding as I did with my Shattered Star quilt. I decided to machine sew the binding as it’s a baby quilt and very likely to go through the wash a bit. It was also a faster way of finishing!

While baby A hasn’t yet received her quilt yet, my SIL has seen pictures so I feel OK about posting this. I know this quilt is certainly loved by Peanut…and I hope baby A loves it as much when she gets it.

Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

So cosy!

So cosy!

Details of the quilt:

Title: I Spy

Size: 45″ x 62″

Pattern: No pattern followed. Log cabin blocks with fussy cut centres.

Fabric: 100% from my stash.

Quilting: Hand quilted circles of various sizes with random placement using Aurifil 12wt, colour 2021

Binding: Summersville Spring by Moda

Backing: Black and white dots, wide backing from Robert Kaufman

Favourite Part: The bright rainbow log cabin effect, and the softness the hand quilting lends to the quilt.

 

Advertisements

12 thoughts on “Finally…a finish!

  1. Very cute!! Your quilting looks great. Love the backing. Even though it’s a little late, at that finished size she will be able to use it a long time. Congrats on your finish.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s